Simple and Compound Machines
© Dmytro Nikitin.
- 3-5 6-8 9-12
SIGN UP FOR A CHANCE TO WIN FREE STEM KITS FROM HESS!
Starting on January 16th, 2018, Hess Corporation is donating 1,000 FREE 2017 STEM kits for classrooms early next year. Be sure to sign up for your chance to win a kit for your classroom. The STEM kits, consisting of the 2017 Hess Dump Truck and Loader will be granted to qualifying and selected teachers. The application process will be administered though the
To prepare for the jobs of tomorrow, students must learn STEM concepts and engage in practical experiences that demonstrate how these concepts apply in the real world. With this in mind, Baylor College of Medicine and Hess Corporation have teamed to offer a unique resource for teaching STEM content to young students. The 2017 Hess Dump Truck and Loader, used in combination with the free curricular guide, Simple and Complex Machines, provide a powerful STEM learning experience for students and teachers. Fill out the short form at the bottom of this page to download your free teacher’s guide and classroom slide set.
Each activity in this guide uses the Hess Dump Truck and Loader to explore different aspects of simple and compound machines. Teachers are provided with a primer about these machines and an explanation of mechanical advantage. The activities can be used sequentially as a unit or inserted into an existing curriculum.
While designed for middle grades (4–6), they can easily be adapted for upper and lower grades. The activities support the Three Dimensions of Science Learning in the Next Generation Science Standards (nextgenscience.org). Some activities include student pages that can be used for assessment or be placed in science notebooks. This guide and the 2017 Hess Dump Truck and Loader combine to provide a powerful STEM learning experience that is stimulating, enriching and just plain fun.
The following STEM activities are available.
1. Heavy Equipment: Simple Machines — How many simple machines can you find and identify in the 2017 Hess Dump Truck or Loader?
2. Lifting Forces — How do dump trucks unload their cargo?
3. Traction and the Center of Gravity — Why does the 2017 Hess Loader have continuous tracks instead of wheels with big treads for traction?
4. Degrees of Freedom — How many degrees of freedom does the Hess Loader have?
5. Loader Games — What operator skills are needed to successfully compete in loader games?
6. Bridges: Supporting Heavy Loads — Can your team construct a bridge strong enough to permit the 2017 Hess Dump Truck and Loader to cross safely?
7. Writing for STEM — What do users need to know to operate and maintain the 2017 Hess Dump Truck and Loader in good condition?
8. Adding an “A” to STEM — What is the best way to market the 2017 Hess Dump Truck and Loader?
Simple and Compound Machines: STEM Activities for Use with the 2017 Hess Dump Truck and Loader was developed in a partnership between Baylor College of Medicine and the Hess Corporation.