The Science of Food
Complete instructions for conducting activities in this slide set, including materials needed, setup instructions, student sheets (in English and in Spanish), answer keys and extensions, can be found in The Science of Food Teacher’s Guide, which is available free-of-charge at http://www.bioedonline.org/lessons-and-more/teacher-guides/food/
This slide set is designed for use with The Science of Food Teacher’s Guide, which contains lessons that enable students to examine soil and plant growth, photosynthesis, edible parts of parts, food webs, digestion, bioaccumulation in food, bacteria, food labels, nutrition, food safety, as well as pre- and post-assessments. The Science of Food Teacher’s Guide may be used alone or with the following integrated educational components.
- The Mysterious Marching Vegetables (student storybook)
- Explorations (student magazine)
- The Reading Link (language arts supplement)
- The Math Link (mathematics activities supplement)
Activities are organized into the following science areas.
- Physical Science (soil, components of soil, soil texture)
- Life Science (seeds, plants, plant growth, photosynthesis, edible plant parts, food webs, ecosystems, herbivore, carnivore, omnivore, decomposer, nutrients, digestion)
- Environmental Science and Health (pollution in food, bacteria, food labels, food safety, bioaccumulation, food chain)
Keywords: bacteria | bioaccumulation | calcium | calorie | calorie | calories | carbohydrate | carbohydrates | carnivore | cereal | cholesterol | cholesterol | dairy | decomposer | diet | digestion | fats | fats | fiber | fiber | fish | flower | food | food chain | food group | food label | food poisoning | food safety | food web | fruit | fungi | grains | herbivore | leaf | leaves | meat | microbe | microorganism | minerals | minerals | nutrient | nutrition | nuts | omnivore | pesticide | photosynthesis | plant | portion size | producers and consumers | protein | root | salt | salt | saturated fat | saturated fat | scavenger | seed | serving size | serving size | sodium | sodium | soil | stem | sugar | sugar | trans fat | trans fat | vegetable | vitamins | vitamins | water | ecosystem
- Moreno, N., and Tharp, B. (2011) The Science of Food Teacher’s Guide. Baylor College of Medicine: Houston. ISBN: 978-1-888997-76-7
- Photo © Shvadchak Vasyl. Licensed for use.
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
My Health My World: National Dissemination
Grant Number: 5R25ES009259
The Environment as a Context for Opportunities in Schools
Grant Number: 5R25ES010698, R25ES06932
Foundations for the Future: Capitalizing on Technology to Promote Equity, Access and Quality in Elementary Science Education