What Is the Water Cycle?
Have students work in groups of four. Put each group’s materials on a tray and place in a central location for Materials Managers to pick up.
Place a container of sand with a scoop in a central area. Let groups measure out the quantities they need.
Materials per Student Group
- 20 ice cubes (approximately)
- 2 cups of sand
- 8-oz measuring cup, or 250 mL beaker
- Cardboard shoebox
- Clear plastic wrap (enough to completely cover top of the shoebox)
- Foil (to cover shoebox interior)
- Lamp with incandescent bulb, or sunny window
- Large rubber band (to secure the plastic wrap)
- Plastic tray to hold materials
Materials per Student
- Copy of "The Water Cycle" page
- Sheet of drawing paper
A plastic shoebox-sized container may be used. If no clear lid is is available, cover the shoebox with plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band.
Your slide tray is being processed.
Funded by the following grant(s)
The Environment as a Context for Opportunities in Schools
Grant Numbers: 5R25ES010698, R25ES06932
Foundations for the Future: Capitalizing on Technology to Promote Equity, Access and Quality in Elementary Science Education